1/16/13

Vegan Creme of Mushroom Soup

A new year has also brought a new change of pace. No longer cooking with my carnivore boyfriend as much has given the opportunity to try out more of the vegan recipes I've been pinning for the past few months. When it comes to experimenting in the kitchen I prefer to be the sole taster subject to the recipes. Lets just say for me, when it comes to cooking, practice makes perfect :)

Last night I made some Vegan Creme of Mushroom Soup inspired by Healthyful Pursuit. Overall, I liked it. It was the foundation of a great soup I will definitely make again. Next time I'd like to add some chives and some garlic!


Ingredients

2 cups cauliflower florets [I added some more to make it fluffier!]
1 2/3 cup unsweetened original almond milk [I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk]
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon Himalayan rock salt
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
1/2 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/2 cups diced white mushrooms
1/2 yellow onion, diced
[I added tons of Red Pepper Flakes]

Instructions

-Place cauliflower, milk, onion powder, salt and pepper in a small saucepan.

-Cover and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 7-8 minutes, until cauliflower is softened.

-Then, puree using a food processor, immersion blender or blender.

-Meanwhile, add oil, mushrooms and onion to a medium-sized saucepan. Heat over high heat until onions are translucent and beginning to brown, about 8 minutes.

-Add pureed cauliflower mixture to sauteed mushrooms. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 10 minutes, until thickened.

Makes 2 servings.


No comments:

Post a Comment